For the second year in a row, San Antonio will participate in the Big Give S.A. The Big Give S.A. is a 24-hour day of giving that begins from midnight to 11:59 p.m. on May 5, 2014. The day is dedicated to all non-profits and promotes awareness of the many amazing things happening right in our own back yard. If you ever thought of donating to a local non-profit- this would be the day.
Now, many of you either work for a non-profit, volunteer, or sit on the board of one. In order to set up your organization for success by May 5th, there are a few things you need to prepare for pronto! What are you going to do to make your organization stand out? Why would someone want to donate to your non-profit out of the hundreds listed? Are you prepared to tell your story effectively?
IT ALL STARTS WITH MARKETING
Here are some major tips to getting started on a winning strategy.
1) BRANDING- What branding does your organization have? Is it a logo? Do you have a slogan that tells the potential donor exactly what your organization stands for? Branding is a make or break deal (along with your website) and can either attract people or completely turn them off. All of your marketing materials, websites, videos, and so on MUST look creative and professional and MUST be consistent all across the board. The story of how your non-profit truly changes lives must also be reflected in your brand.
2) HAVE A GREAT WEBSITE- The very first thing people do when they want to learn more about your non-profit is go to your website. If all of the buttons aren’t functioning, the website looks outdated, AND there is nowhere to donate…you will miss out on some crazy $$$$! Fix it now. Call a professional like HeartFire Media to do a makeover if needed and give it a fresh and modern look. We can create websites from scratch or work with what you have. Either way, you need something that is easy to navigate and attractive to donors. We want them to love your organization and the great work you are doing, so let’s get to marketing the right way- don’t half ass it- people will see the difference. Keep in mind the BGSA makes all people donate through their own website….thebiggivesa.org, however what if someone doesn’t make the deadline but still wants to donate? They can go straight to your website 24/7/365.
3) SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY– All year long, you should really be pumping social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram) with stats, testimonials, event photos, short video clips, and great stories of the stuff going on at your non-profit. Campaign as early as possible. Have a graphic designer make a cool graphic that promotes the Big Give S.A. and say, “ Don’t forget! May 5th is the big day for YOU to donate to our favorite non-profit!” Think of a fun and cool way to get people engaged… host contests, do giveaways, post creative videos, etc. The possibilities are endless.
4) VIDEOS- Speaking of videos. This is a HUGE moneymaker. If there were one thing I would recommend to really stand out from the crowd, it would be to get a really creative video produced. Through a 2-minute video you can tell your entire story and show the impact you are making in the community. At HeartFire, this is one of our specialties. We can help you come up with a creative concept, write your script, shoot and edit the entire thing. We utilize your brand messaging and incorporate testimonials to capture the attention of the viewer and pull on the heartstrings. It’s all about being real and making people feel connected to the difference you are making.
5) EMAIL BLAST– Another tool I live by. What better way to keep your peeps up to date on what is going on than with a weekly email blast? Let EVERYONE know what is happening on May 5th and to be on the look out for your organization on the Big Give S.A. website. The earlier you communicate this the better. People tend to commit unconsciously early on to a brand/organization they are already familiar with and informed of. If you are on your A-game and remind them weeks in advance, this will also give you a one-up against all the other non-profits who will not prepare and will be promoting at the last minute.
Remember, failing to plan is planning to fail. If you haven’t started a marketing strategy for this day of giving, let’s get to it! According to the BIG Give S.A. website there here were 21,000 donations from 6 different countries, 48 states, and 1500 different cities. Now why in the world would you not want to be one of these recipients? You work all year long asking for donations- take advantage of this important day coming up. Make sure to register your organization on the website as well, deadline is April 10th!
At HeartFire Media, we have worked with numerous non-profits through video production, graphic design, web design, and marketing consulting. If you need help with any of these items, feel free to drop us a line.
Best of Luck,
Matthew 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
[pbutton url=”www.heartfiremedia.net/#contact” text=”Need Help Executing Your Marketing Strategy? WE ARE HERE FOR YOU! GIVE US A CALL!” new_window=”no” icon=”fa fa-heart”]